When hiring I focus on software engineering & mindset which is 90% of the job & cannot be captured by ATS or tests. Discussion with experts will. Language & qualification are secondary. I created this guide to write my job descriptions, scan resumes, & interview to capture what the ATS cannot.
- Developer codes single objects. Engineers systems of multiple reusable objects.
- Smaller projects a jack-of-all-trades. Larger a specialist in each area.
- Qualification alone is no use. Real experience is. Academics can solve tests but not necessarily real problems. Experienced people solve problems but not necessarily tests.
- Domain specific know one industry. Others bring new ideas to the table from a variety of domains.
- With tools, processes, and technology zealots are fanatical & uncompromising, pragmatists are practical, evangelists seek to convert others to their ideals.
- Optimists assume code never fails so reduce tests. Skeptics assume code will fail and increase tests.
- Great engineers’ question & constructively criticize. Others do whatever is said without question.
- Many love to write new code – but few to debug. Fewer will debug someone else’s.